Since I run my Media Center PC 24x7, I decided it would be a good idea to capture log messages from the DFL-210 firewall, my 2 Linksys access points and the SunRocket Innomedia VOIP gateway. I found the Kiwi Syslog Daemon to fit my needs since it worked with all my devices and they provide a freeware version. The Kiwi Syslog Daemon can be run as a service so you do not need to be logged on. You should also download the Kiwi Log Viewer to view the entire log file, the Syslog Daemon will only display the last 100 entries or so.
The key differences that I can between the paid and the freeware version is the ability to filter , better reports and DNS resolution of logged IP addresses. You can request a 30 day trial of the paid version. I may try it once I know my way around the software.
The DFL-210 is configured by adding a Log and Event Receiver under System.
- add a Syslog receiver
- Name = choose a name
- IP address = the IP address of the computer the Kiwi Syslog Daemon is running on
- Facility = a descriptor that will show up in your logs to identify the sender (I used local0)
- Port = 514 (standard syslog receiver port)
- In the Kiwi Syslog Daemon setup enable Inputs/UDP and if you have Linksys equipment enable Inputs/SNMP.
- On Windows XP control panel/firewall/Exceptions Add Port Name=Syslog Port=514
When you set up new items or rules on the DFL-210 you can manually set the logging options.
Next I need to look at filtering and reporting to see if the paid version might be useful for my use.