This weekend I decided to try out the AppSnapp method of unlocking my iPhone. I installed the new version of iTunes ,Apple just released which provides unlocking functionality for the additional cellular carriers providing iPhone service in Europe. I then proceeded to restore my unlocked iPhone back to the standard locked firmware. I then followed the instructions on the AppSnapp web site, after some fiddling and multiple reboots I was able to connect to the web site via the iPhone and in less than 60 seconds the iPhone was unlocked. I have a couple of notes on the instructions:
- When you create the contact, use 0 as the phone number
- It is not clear whether you have to create a favorite for the contact you created, but I did
- Once you have initially connected to a WIFI hotspot and you reboot, you need to be patient for the WIFI reconnect to happen (between 1 and 2 minutes), once the WIFI icon appears you can then launch the home page in your saved contact. Follow the instructions on the page, a download and installs occurs. No message will be displayed but within 60 seconds your iPhone will be unlocked.
Of course this only takes cares of the iTunes unlock. My SIM card/cell phone unlock from iphoneSIMfree was still active and worked once the iTunes unlock was completed. Many kudos to the iphonedevteam for putting this together.
On the mobile device OS front, PC Magazine voted Windows Mobile 6 as their Editor's choice despite the fact that it was not perfect. I have to agree with them, and if Apple puts together a well integrated OTA synchronized email/contact/calendar/task application on the iPhone, watch out...They also voted the Samsung i760 as one of the best devices and I agree, it is a very solid device.
I was surprised by David Pogue, one the mainstream media's technology reporters I find balanced, posted some Windows Mobile comments that are just plain wrong. I was going to refute his post but Matthew Miller of ZDNet beat me to the punch with his rebuttal.
Last weekend one of my PATA drives failed and I caused myself headaches. I ran the Seagate web based drive utility and it reported the drive failure from the S.M.A.R.T status. The drive is still under warranty and I could ship it back for a replacement. The problem is that I use that drive to store my week - 1 backups and it would be a pain not having it for 2 weeks. I decided to use HDD Regen, it recovered one bad sector, I ran the Seagate drive utility, it showed no errors. I have used this utility twice now, once on my Tivo drive and once on this Seagate drive. The $59.99 I spent for the utility has been well worth it.
I am still missing channels 185, 186, 188, 192, and 193 on my Sirius radio. I was being told that it was because the activation/programming signal was not getting through. After placing the antenna in the middle of the roof, I had Sirius resend the activation signal with no change. They were able to deactivate and activate channel 198 (Playboy) so I know I can receive program updates. At this point I am thinking that I have a problem with the Sirius radio.
- Finish and post part 4 and 5 of my video review of the SCH-i760.
- My review of the iqua BHS-303 Bluetooth headset is still in the queue to be posted on pocketnow.com this week. This is a very good headset for $35 (Internet price)